Diablo 4: How to complete Holding Back the Flood quest in Season 1
Holding Back the Flood in Diablo 4 is a seasonal quest that appears early on in your journey and there is no way to find it on the map. This has naturally confused players, and here’s everything to know about completing the Holding Back the Flood quest in Diablo 4 Season 1.
Diablo 4 Season 1 is finally here with Malignant gameplay mechanics, the first Battle Pass, and seasonal quests. The Season of the Maligant has a new questline which isn’t the continuation of the main campaign, but it revolves around the new corruption that has plagued Sanctuary.
Your goal in Diablo 4 Season 1 is to help Cormond by collecting Malignant Hearts from Malignant Tunnels and stop the corruption from spreading. Cormond claims that he can build cages that can heal the corruption as well, but for that, you must complete the Holding Back the Flood quest.
Interestingly, the Holding Back the Flood quest has no markers on the map which is unusual and confusing. If you’re wondering how to complete this seasonal quest, we have you covered.
- Diablo 4 Holding Back the Flood quest walkthrough
- How to complete Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 of the seasonal journey in Diablo 4 Season 1
- Diablo 4 Season 1 Chapter 1 objectives
- Diablo 4 Season 1 Chapter 2 objectives
Diablo 4 Holding Back the Flood quest walkthrough
You need to complete Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 of the Diablo 4 Season 1 journey to finish the Holding Back the Flood quest in Season of the Malignant. While you won’t find map markers for any of these seasonal objectives, you can take a look at the desired objectives by pressing U on your keyboard.
PlayStation and Xbox players can follow these steps to check the Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 objectives to complete the Holding Back the Flood quest:
- Press the Share button on PlayStation and the View button on Xbox to open the map.
- Press L1 to select Season which should be on the extreme left on the bar at the top.
- Select Season journey to check your Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 progress.
Make sure that you’ve logged in with your seasonal character in Diablo 4 as you can’t access seasonal content like the quests mentioned above in the Eternal Realm.
How to complete Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 of the seasonal journey in Diablo 4 Season 1
Here’s a list of the objectives in Diablo 4 Season 1’s Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 and how you can complete them:
Diablo 4 Season 1 Chapter 1 objectives
The Chapter 1 in Diablo 4 Season 1 has nine objectives and you need to complete at least seven of them to unlock Chapter 2:
- Den of Evil – Complete any Dungeon found on your map.
- Heart of Corruption – Collect a Malignant Heart, available after completing or skipping the Campaign.
- Into the Frozen Dark – Complete 3 Dungeons in Fractured Peaks.
- Keeper of the Keys – Collect a Whispering Key, sold at the Purveyor of Curiosities.
- Kind Stranger – Complete 5 priority or side quests.
- The Hangman’s Garden – Collect 15 Gallowvine, found nearly anywhere.
- Trouble in the Wilds – Complete a World Event found on your map.
- Waste Not – Salvage 10 Normal items at the Blacksmith.
- What Lurks Below – Complete 1 Cellar.
How to complete Diablo 4 Season 1 Chapter 1 objectives
- Den of Evil – The entire map is filled with Dungeons that are marked with a gate icon. You can also go to Map > Collection > Codex of Power to mark Dungeons on your map.
- Heart of Corruption – Skip the campaign while making your seasonal character and defeat Malignant Enemies to get Malignant Hearts.
- Into the Frozen Dark – Fractured Peaks is the area where you start your main campaign and using the Codex of Power can help you mark Dungeons.
- Keeper of the Keys – Take part in Events to get Murmuring Obols and spend them at Purveyor of Curiosities.
- Kind Stranger – Priority quests include the ones related to upgrading healing potions and seasonal quests. Side quests can be found on the map with a blue exclamation marker.
- The Hangman’s Garden – Gallowvine is abundantly found around Sanctuary and you can find it simply by exploring the map.
- Trouble in the Wilds – World Events are marked on your map as bright orange circles. Enter these circles and you’ll automatically receive the objectives related to World Event.
- Waste Not – Normal gear is the one without any background color in your inventory and it has no special affixes. Here’s a guide on how to salvage gear in Diablo 4.
- What Lurks Below – There are 147 Cellars spread across the map and they’re marked with a basement icon.
Diablo 4 Season 1 Chapter 2 objectives
Diablo 4 Season 1 Chapter 2 has eleven objectives and you must complete at least nine of them to unlock the next chapter in the game:
- A Torch in the Depths – Complete 5 Malignant Tunnels, available after completing or skipping the Campaign.
- A Warrior of Taste – Change your gear’s appearance 5 times at the Wardrobe.
- Baptized in Blood – Reach level 25.
- Finer Clarity – Upgrade your potion to Minor at the Alchemist.
- Gemcutter – Craft any Chipped gem at the Jeweler.
- Lighting the Way – Interact with 10 waypoints for faster travel to new places.
- Ruins Reclaimed – Conquer a Stronghold.
- Spit and Polish – Upgrade 2 items at the Blacksmith or Jeweler.
- Stopping the Spread – Collect 3 Malignant Hearts, available after completing or skipping the Campaign.
- Undertaker – Complete 10 Cellars.
- Vivisector – Collect 15 Demon Hearts, found from killing Demons or in Cellars.
How to complete Diablo 4 Season 1 Chapter 2 objectives
- A Torch in the Depths – Malignant Tunnels are Dungeons marked with the green seasonal icons on the map.
- A Warrior of Taste – Access the wardrobe from any of the towns/cities.
- Baptized in Blood – Check out this guide on how to level up quickly in Diablo 4.
- Finer Clarity – Check out this guide on how to upgrade healing potions in Diablo 4.
- Gemcutter – Unlock the jeweler after reaching level 20 and check out this guide on Gem levels.
- Lighting the Way – Check out this guide on how to unlock all waypoints in Diablo 4.
- Ruins Reclaimed – Here’s a list of all Strongholds and how you can defeat them.
- Spit and Polish – Blacksmiths and Jewelers are available in most cities.
- Stopping the Spread – Collect Malignant Hearts by defeating a corrupted enemy, interacting with its caged heart, and defeating its Malignant version that is re-born.
- Undertaker – There are 147 Cellars spread across the map and they’re marked with a basement icon..
- Vivisector – Defeat Extremely Rare Monsters and they’ll drop Demon Hearts.
Well, this was everything to know about completing the Holding Back the Flood quest in Diablo 4 Season 1. We hope this guide helps you in your seasonal journey and for similar guidance, you can check out:
Best Diablo 4 Druid builds | Best Diablo 4 Sorcerer builds | Best Diablo 4 Barbarian builds | Best Diablo 4 Necromancer builds | Diablo 4 skill tree builder | How does Diablo 4 co-op campaign progression work | What is Diablo 4 Hardcore mode? | What is the max level in Diablo 4? | How to complete Diablo 4 Secret of the Spring quest | Is Diablo 4 coming to Xbox Game Pass? | Diablo 4 Battle Pass guide | How to earn skill points in Diablo 4