Diablo 4 Strongholds: All locations & how to complete
Diablo 4 has something for those Wanderers who want more in their trips through Sanctuary: Strongholds. These are big areas with many enemies and Season 1 of Diablo 4 requires players to clear them. Here’s the list of the fifteen Stronghold places that you can go to level up.
Season 1 of Diablo 4 not only added some brand new features to the game such as the franchise’s very first Battle Pass, Malignant Hearts, Malignant Tunnel, and more but also improved on the already existing components. One of them is Strongholds, which are areas that are similar to dungeons but with a twist.
By clearing them, you can often liberate entire villages from evil invasions and create new waypoints for fast travel. Each location also has a unique objective to complete that can involve more than slaying hordes of angry creatures.
Clearing Strongholds is also a required part of the seasonal journey in Season 1 of Diablo 4. In every region of the map, you can find three of them to conquer, and each one has an Altar of Lilith to unlock. If you are looking for an incentive to explore Diablo 4’s map, here are all their locations:
- What are Strongholds in Diablo 4?
- Dry Steppes Stronghold locations in Diablo 4
- Fractured Peaks Stronghold locations in Diablo 4
- Hawezar Stronghold locations in Diablo 4
- Kehjistan Stronghold locations in Diablo 4
- Scosglen Stronghold locations in Diablo 4
What are Strongholds in Diablo 4?
Strongholds are areas of the map that have been swarmed by demons and that are in dire need of the Wanderers to liberate them. When exploring Diablo 4 map, players may come across a red skull on their minimap and a large notification across their screen signaling that there’s a Stronghold nearby.
Sanctuary has 15 Strongholds scattered across the five main regions. These zones are going to hold enemies at least three levels higher than the Wanderers, who can enter alone or with a party. After completing the Stronghold’s objective, they’ll also win a considerable amount of Renown points.
Dry Steppes Stronghold locations in Diablo 4
- The Onyx Watchtower: The camp was taken over by bandits who are ready to kill any traveler that passes through. The objective is to defeat all of them, destroy their rations, and slay Captain Ezmin’s four lieutenants. Once everything is cleared, the players should return to the center of the Stronghold to defeat Captain Ezmin.
- Ruins of Qara-Yisu: This area is afflicted by an ancient curse that desolated its population. Most enemies are weak, but they’ll swarm any player going through the Stronghold. Once the Wanderers are there, they have to destroy the three Infernal Spires and defeat Shaman Utulku who spawns in the northern area.
- Temple of Rot: This Stronghold will require the players to slay all four Cannibal Champions (whose locations are marked on the map, except for one). It will also ask for Wanderers to kill the temple’s boss Molqarth the Hungerer and the Spawn of Molqarth, who can be found in the north of the area.
Fractured Peaks Stronghold locations in Diablo 4
- Nostrava: This location seems to be abandoned at first, but because players need to talk to an NPC to activate its quests. Once the Wanderers have reached the location, they should head to the church (on the eastern edge of the town) and talk to the priestess. To complete this Stronghold, players will have to destroy five Demonic Effigies hidden in several houses and once they’re finished, they’ll have to battle against Negala, Lilith’s Chosen.
- Kor Dragan: Vampires have ravaged this area and built three Vampiric Incubators which have to be destroyed. Once these are destroyed, they’ll each release a Sanguine Knight, which has to be slain before heading north to attack the Vampiric Aberration. After all this, the final boss, Nilcar, will finally show himself and summon the Elites to begin a challenging battle.
- Malnok: A fierce storm has frozen the area and players will have to locate its sources, and while they’re at it, slay three of the Ice Clan Stormcallers. Once their ritual is interrupted, Wanderers will have to return to the center of the Stronghold to kill all the members of the Ice Clans and face the final boss, Frosthorn.
Hawezar Stronghold locations in Diablo 4
- Crusader’s Monument: Players will have to find the center of the Stronghold to destroy the Undead that has surrounded the Monument. Once the area is clean, Wanderers will have to look for three Crusader’s Skulls to cleanse in the Ritual Brazier. Once done, three ghosts of Crusader Champions will appear and will engage in the final boss battle.
- Eriman’s Pyre: When entering the Burning Village, Wanderers will have to look for the Spirit of the Pyre located at the center of the Stronghold. This will summon the Fallen Overseer, which has to be killed in order to retrieve an item called Villager’s Remains. This can be used to extinguish a Fiery Focus, which will open up another area of the Stronghold. To continue, this process has to be repeated a few more times until Eriman’s Pyre can be extinguished. When trying to do so, the ghost of Duz’Agur spawns to initiate the final battle.
- Vyersez: Like most of Hawezar’s Strongholds, Vyersez has also been taken over by a cult. To destroy it, players will have to destroy three Serpent’s Eyes and battle against the cultists. Once the Serpent’s Eye Door is open and after a few hordes of demons, players will face the final boss, Dianthus.
Kehjistan Stronghold locations in Diablo 4
- Altar of Ruin: Wanderers will have to look for three Ritual Chamber Keys before getting the Stronghold objective. Once they survive the mini-bosses that are protecting them, they’ll be able to enter the Ritual Chamber to battle Madul, the Dark Cardinal. Wanderers will have to defeat two waves of monsters before attacking him.
- Alcarnus: This region is the home of a witch that is seeking immortality. Players will have to head to the tower in the northeast to defeat her and explore her base. There they’ll find three Research Notes that will lead them to destroy Necrotic Masses. Each of them will spawn a Simulacrum of the Witch that will attack the player, and that has to be slain before facing the Witch one more time.
- Omath’s Redoubt: This Stronghold asks for the Wanderers to find four clues (one sword and three corpses) before solving its main mystery. Once the players have interacted with these items, they’ll have to inspect the Ceremonial Staff and face High Priestess Hadar.
Scosglen Stronghold locations in Diablo 4
- Moordaine Lodge: Located in the Eastern part of Scosglen, this region used to be an ancient hunting lodge used by Druids. Once inside the Stronghold, players will be asked to find the corpses of three missing hunters. Interacting with the final corpse will summon the Beast of Moordaine, which players will have to fight until it runs away. Wanderers should pursue the Beast and fight it until it acquires its human form, called Fionnir the Mad Druid.
- Tur Dulra: This region also has strong ties with the Druids (and it’s required to complete the Druid Class Quest). Once inside the Stronghold, players should go into the yellow circle and look for The Great Oak. The ghost of Brighde will appear and instruct you to free the other three Druid Spirits throughout Tur Dulra. After interacting with all of them (and surviving the hordes of entities that try to kill the players), the Infernal Tormentor will appear near the Great Oak to battle the Wanderers.
- Hope’s Light: Players will have to go through a maze-like scenario made by shipwrecks until they find a winch. Activating it will spawn a Drowned assault, which players have to survive in order to return the missing winch to the Broken Mast. These actions will open up a path through a yellow-marked area that surrounds the place to fight the final boss, Tidewitch Ne’gana.
Do you want to know more about the secrets of Diablo 4? These guides will help you with your adventure:
Best Diablo 4 Druid builds | Best Diablo 4 Sorcerer builds | Best Diablo 4 Barbarian builds | Best Diablo 4 Necromancer builds | Diablo 4 skill tree builder | How does Diablo 4 co-op campaign progression work | What is Diablo 4 Hardcore mode? | What is the max level in Diablo 4? | How to complete Diablo 4 Secret of the Spring quest | Is Diablo 4 coming to Xbox Game Pass?| When does Diablo 4 Season 1 start? | Diablo 4 Battle Pass guide | How to earn skill points in Diablo 4