How to add mods to Minecraft on PC, consoles & mobile
Even though Minecraft has held its own over the last decade, you may have grown tired of the vanilla version of the blocky sandbox title. This is where modding comes in, which adds thousands of new features to Minecraft. So, here’s how to add mods to Minecraft on PC, consoles, and mobile.
While the unaltered and Vanilla versions of games like Minecraft, GTA V, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim V, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons may be the best ones to enjoy, you might like to experiment and push a game’s boundaries to implement your ideas. Mods can allow you to do this while having tons of fun and freedom.
Minecraft is one of the most popular games in history and sets quite a standard as to how a sandbox game should operate. It has everything from beds and buckets to invisibility potions and beacons, along with a range of items that you can mine and craft.
If you want to further improve this sandbox nature by using mods to add new textures, ray tracing, animals, plants, mechanics, and several other things, here’s how to add mods to Minecraft.
- How to install Minecraft mods on Windows
- How to install Minecraft mods on Mac
- Can you add mods to Minecraft on Xbox and PlayStation consoles?
- Can you add mods to Minecraft on Android & iOs?
How to install Minecraft mods on Windows
Follow these steps to add mods to Minecraft on Windows:
- Go to the official Forge website and download the recommended version. Installing the latest version is not the best option as many mods don’t work with it. Install the Forge version you’ve downloaded.
- Download the Minecraft mods you want to add. There are many sources for this including CurseForge where you can find thousands of mods that are regularly updated.
- While downloading a mod, make sure to check its compatibility with your game’s version and modding software.
- Go to C: > Users > [Your username] > App Data > Roaming > Minecraft.
- In the Minecraft folder, create a new folder named mods. This is where you have to place all the mods you want to add to the game.
- Activate your Forge account and run Minecraft. If the mods are compatible, you should see the corresponding effects.
Quick tip – Minecraft mods can sometimes disarray your progress if they’re not compatible. To avoid such a situation, it is wise to make a copy of your original world before adding any mods to it.
You can do so by tapping on the Edit button at the bottom-left corner of the screen. Select the Make Backup option and let the game transfer the files.
How to install Minecraft mods on Mac
You can install Minecraft mods on Mac exactly like on Windows. Download Forge and the desired mods and put the latter in a mods folder.
The only difference is the location of the Minecraft directory on Mac devices. You’ll have to go to ~ > Library > Application Support > Minecraft. In the final folder, create the ‘mods’ folder and repeat everything else mentioned for Windows.
Can you add mods to Minecraft on Xbox and PlayStation consoles?
You cannot add mods to Minecraft on Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5 consoles. However, to make your game more enjoyable, we suggest downloading add-ons from the official Marketplace feature on the home screen.
Having said that, the add-ons you’ll find in the Marketplace cost real money and won’t be as liberating as mods.
Can you add mods to Minecraft on Android & iOs?
You cannot add mods to Minecraft on mobile devices including Android & iOS. However, you can find third-party apps like BlockLauncher on the Google Play Store or the App Store that help in downloading and installing add-ons.
Yet again, do not have high expectations from the mods you install on mobile devices as they’re largely restricted when compared to the PC versions.
This was everything to know about modding in Minecraft. For more content on the sandbox title, check out the following articles:
Where to find Diamonds in Minecraft | How to get a blue Axolotl in Minecraft | How to make a Night Vision potion in Minecraft | How to get a Goat Horn in Minecraft | How to find an Ancient City in Minecraft | How to change your skin in Minecraft | How to breed frogs in Minecraft