How to breed frogs in Minecraft
Frogs are passive mobs in Minecraft and many players love having these harmless animals jumping around their base. Here’s a guide on how to breed frogs in Minecraft with simple items like slimeballs.
Taming and breeding animals is a frequently used feature in Minecraft. From horses and cats to turtles and llamas, you can tame and breed a wide range of animals and they’ll happily join you on your journey to beat the Ender Dragon as well.
While some animals are aggressive, others like frogs and foxes are passive. Taming and breeding them is a much easier process, and luckily, Minecraft allows you to breed frogs.
In this guide, we’ll teach you how to breed frogs in Minecraft.
- Items required to breed frogs in Minecraft and how to get them
- Where to find frogs in Minecraft
- Steps to breed frogs in Minecraft
- Uses of frogs in Minecraft
Items required to breed frogs in Minecraft and how to get them
You only need two slime balls to breed frogs in Minecraft and they can be obtained by defeating slimes in the Overworld. Slimes generally spawn below Y = 40 and visiting swamp biomes during the night is the best way to find them.
With enchantments like Looting, you can get a maximum of five slime balls by killing a slime. Without Looting, you can expect 1-2 slimeballs per kill.
Where to find frogs in Minecraft
Swamps are the best biome to find frogs in Minecraft. Based on the region’s temperature, you can come across three different types of frogs in the game:
- Light-orange frogs that live in moderate temperatures.
- Green frogs that live in cold temperatures.
- Gray frogs that live in warm temperatures.
Steps to breed frogs in Minecraft
Once you have the slimeballs and find some frogs in the Overworld, follow these steps to breed them in Minecraft:
- Hold the slime ball in your hand. Now, every frog within six blocks will start following you.
- Use the slimeball to gather at least two frogs.
- Feed both frogs one slimeball. They should then enter love mode and hearts will appear over their head.
- One of the frogs will become pregnant and look for a nearby water block to lay eggs.
- The frog will lay eggs and the water block will turn into a frogspawn.
- A tadpole should spawn from the frogspawn within a few minutes.
- Feed this tadpole slimeballs to boost its growth and turn it into a frog.
It is worth noting that the color of the frog you get by breeding depends on the biome in which the mother frog laid the eggs. Eggs laid in a warm biome should spawn a gray frog and green and light-orange frogs can be obtained by laying eggs in cold and moderate biomes, respectively.
Uses of frogs in Minecraft
Frogs in Minecraft are majorly used for Froglight blocks that generate when a frog tries to consume small magma cubes. Froglight blocks emit light and there are three variants depending on the color of the frog that ate the magma cube.
Froglight blocks are great for decoration and you can use them while building your next Minecraft house.
Well, this was everything to know about breeding frogs in Minecraft. For similar content, make sure to check out our crafting guides for a composter, a book, a map, Blast Furnace, spyglass, fireworks, cake, boat, and TNT.
Image Credits: Mojang