Starfield romance explained: All romanceable characters
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Bethesda’s sci-fi RPG, Starfield, grants players the opportunity to explore romantic relationships amongst the vastness of space. So here’s all you need to know about romance in Starfield and every character that can be courted.
Starfield, one of the standout games of 2023, has captivated players with its immersive universe, thanks to Bethesda’s commitment to creating a lasting gaming experience. This cosmic RPG propels you on a grand adventure across the cosmos, with a staggering 1,000+ planets to explore.
You’ll encounter a diverse array of NPCs throughout your journey, each with unique backgrounds and objectives. Many of these characters can join your crew as companions, and the most developed characters offer the possibility of romantic relationships.
With this in mind, here’s everything you need to know about romance in Starfield.
- Does Starfield have romance options?
- How to romance characters in Starfield
- All romance options in Starfield
Does Starfield have romance options?
Starfield features four distinct romance options, meaning you’re able to find a partner to accompany you on your journey. There is one limitation you should be aware of, though — You can only romance one character at a time.
In an interview with Kinda Funny, Starfield Game Director, Todd Howard, explained that romance is more complicated than in previous games. This is because the characters “can be in love with you and dislike something you did, and be p***ed at you temporarily, and then come back to loving you.”
How to romance characters in Starfield
In Starfield, in order to romance a character, you need to get enough affinity to unlock special conversations that lead to special missions for the character you are trying to romance. This is an invisible affinity meter that tracks all your interactions with romanceable companions and serves as the foundation for romance.
You should try to impress the NPCs with responses that they like before moving on to the Flirt or Romance dialogue options. The game will indicate whether these characters approve or disapprove of your responses.
To raise your affinity with an NPC in Starfield, you simply need to consider what they would like or dislike when engaging in conversation with them.
All romance options in Starfield
Starfield features four different romance storylines, as mentioned before. You can only romance companions who are members of Constellation and are tied to the main story. Although having a handful of romance options allows for more expanded storylines, don’t expect dedicated romance subplots like in Cyberpunk 2077.
Here are all of the characters that can be romanced in Starfield:
- Sarah Morgan – Sarah Morgan, an ex-soldier and adventurer, is the leader of Constellation. She approves of lawful actions and dislikes harming innocents. You can romance Sarah after finishing the quest In Memoriam.
- Sam Coe – Sam Coe is a former space cowboy from Akila City. You first meet him, along with the other Constellation members, at The Lodge in New Atlantis. Sam Coe’s romance options open up eventually as you travel along with him.
- Barrett – Barrett is one of the first Constellation members you’ll meet in Starfield. He has a charming personality and gets along well with everyone he meets. You can romance Barrett once you finish Breach of Contact.
- Andreja – Despite her questionable past, Andreja still shares many moral values with the other Constellation members. While she enjoys stealing, she does not like causing harm to innocent people or accepting bribes. Romancing Andreja requires you to finish a mission called Divided Loyalties.
That was everything we know about romance in Starfield so far. For more on the game, check out our other articles:
Starfield Alternating Currents choice: Should you side with Zoe or Louisa? | Where to find Party Cruise Ship in Starfield | Starfield jail system explained & how to avoid it | How to avoid being encumbered in Starfield | Starfield lockpicking explained | How to get High-Tensile Spidroin in Starfield | How to join Ryujin Industries in Starfield | What does Suit Protection Depleted mean in Starfield?