Diablo 4 Renown system explained: Skill Points, rewards, more
Diablo 4 arrived with a brand-new Renown system which encourages you to explore the open world for exciting rewards like skill points and potion charges. From the different Renown tiers to Renown transfer across seasons, here’s everything about the Renown system in Diablo 4.
Diablo 4 is an open-world game and unlike the previous installments, it is loaded with side quests, NPCs, Dungeons, Helltides, and Fields of Hatred. Apart from giving Sanctuary its best makeover yet, the developers have added a Renown system that gives you rewards for exploration.
From discovering new areas to finding Altar of Lilith statues, there’s a lot that contributes to your Renown, and without a planned approach, you might be missing out on some of the best free rewards available in the game.
To help you get bonus skill points and potion charges, here’s everything to know about the Renown system in Diablo 4.
- What is Renown in Diablo 4?
- How to get Renown in Diablo 4
- How to check your Renown progress in Diablo 4
- Renown tiers in Diablo 4 and their rewards
- Renown transfer in Diablo 4 Season 2
What is Renown in Diablo 4?
Renown is a gameplay system and currency in Diablo 4 that grants rewards such as Skill Points, Paragon Points, Bonus XP, and Gold for exploring the major areas of the game. These include Scosglen, Dry Steppes, Kehjistan, Fractured Peaks, and Hawezar.
How to get Renown in Diablo 4
You can get Renown in Diablo 4 by completing these challenges:
- Unlocking a waypoint grants 20 Renown.
- Clearing a Stronghold grants 100 Renown.
- Completing a Side Quest grants 20 Renown.
- Discovering an area grants 5 Renown.
- Clearing a Side Dungeon grants 30 Renown.
- Finding an Altar of Lillith grants 10 Renown.
How to check your Renown progress in Diablo 4
To check your Renown in Diablo 4, open the map and press the button/prompt saying ‘View Rewards‘ on the right side of the checklist that is at the top of the screen.
Doing so will display the Renown progress you’ve made in the region you’re currently in, and Renown systems for new regions only unlock after you’ve visited them at least once.
Renown tiers in Diablo 4 and their rewards
There are five Renown tiers in Diablo 4 and you can unlock them after collecting a certain amount of Renown. The rewards you get from these tiers include:
- Tier 1 – Collect 200 Renown to get Bonus XP, 3,000 Gold, and one Skill Point.
- Tier 2 – Collect 300 Renown (Total 500) to get Bonus XP, 10,000 Gold, and an extra Potion Charge.
- Tier 3 – Collect 400 Renown (Total 900) to get Bonus XP, 25,000 Gold, and one Skill Point.
- Tier 4 (required World Tier 3 unlock) – Collect 400 Renown (Total 1300) to get Bonus XP, 60,000 Gold, and 80 Max Obols.
- Tier 5 (requires World Tier 3 unlock) – Collect 500 Renown (Total 1800) to get Bonus XP, 125,000 Gold, and 4 Paragon Points.
There are two important things to note here. Your Renown resets every time you reach a new reward collection tier. Moreover, the rewards you get are account-wide meaning that all your characters get that additional Skill Point and Bonus XP buff.
There’s a separate Renown system for every region and by completing the challenges for all five regions, you can expect 10 additional Skill Points and 20 Paragon Points for your builds.
Renown transfer change in Diablo 4 Season 2
While Diablo 4 Season of the Malignant established that only Renown won from unlocking Altars of Lilith and Map Discovery would be transferred into Seasonal characters, Diablo 4 Season 2 will change this mechanic.
According to Blizzard, Season of Blood will allow every Renown reward to be carried over, even if they were unlocked with prior characters. This will include Obol Cap upgrades, Skill Points, Potion Charges, and Paragon Points.
For more content on Diablo 4, you can check out:
Best Diablo 4 Sorcerer builds | Best Diablo 4 Druid builds | Best Diablo 4 Barbarian build | Diablo 4 skill tree builder | Is Diablo 4 coming to Nintendo Switch | How does Diablo 4 co-op campaign progression work | Is Diablo 4 playable on the Steam Deck | How to salvage gear in Diablo 4 | How to transmog gear in Diablo 4 | Diablo 4 ending explained