How to unlock Heroes in Overwatch 2
Overwatch 2 is constantly adding Heroes that change the entire competitive meta, but they’re not easy to get. Here’s everything you need to do to unlock all Overwatch 2 Heroes in Season 7.
Overwatch 2 has up to 38 Heroes to complete any game mode, but not all of them are available right from the start. Even if you’re a new player or a veteran, you’ll need to complete some challenges to get access to the full Overwatch 2 roster.
Blizzard have already announced two new Heroes coming in the next seasons, along with Mauga’s kit fully revealed during BlizzCon 23. If you want to know how to unlock all Overwatch 2 characters in Season 7, we’ll tell you everything you need to do to get them.
- Overwatch 2: What Heroes are already unlocked?
- How to unlock all Heroes in Overwatch 2
- How to unlock new Heroes in Overwatch 2
- How to unlock Mauga in Overwatch Season 8
Overwatch 2: What Heroes are already unlocked?
If you’re new to the game, you’ll be able to start playing Overwatch 2 with 13 of the 38 heroes in Overwatch 2. These are:
- Tank: Winston, Zarya, Orisa, Reinhardt.
- Damage: Pharah, Reaper, Soldier: 76, Torbjorn, Tracer, Widowmaker.
- Support: Lucio, Mercy, Moira.
How to unlock all Heroes in Overwatch 2
If it’s your first time playing Overwatch 2, you’ll need to complete a certain amount of matches to unlock characters from classic Overwatch.
According to Blizzard, this tutorial-like system is aimed to teach new users how every role works without overwhelming them with all Heroes at once. Here’s how many matches you have to play to unlock original Overwatch Heroes:
|Hero||Type||How to unlock|
|Genji||DPS||Play 1 game|
|D.Va||Tank||Play 2 games|
|Cassidy||DPS||Play 3 games|
|Ana||Support||Play 4 games|
|Hanzo||DPS||Play 9 games|
|Junkrat||DPS||Play 12 games|
|Roadhog||Tank||Play 15 games|
|Symmetra||DPS||Play 20 games|
|Zenyatta||Support||Play 25 games|
|Bastion||DPS||Play 30 games|
|Sigma||Tank||Play 40 games|
|Ashe||DPS||Play 50 games|
|Brigitte||Support||Play 60 games|
|Mei||DPS||Play 70 games|
|Doomfist||Tank||Play 85 games|
|Baptiste||Support||Play 100 games|
|Sombra||DPS||Play 115 games|
|Wrecking Ball||Tank||Play 130 games|
|Echo||DPS||Play 150 games|
How to unlock new Heroes in Overwatch 2
Overwatch 2 has introduced six new heroes up until Season 7, which include Sojourn, Kiriko, Junker Queen, Ramattra, Lifeweaver, and Illari. When a new Hero is introduced in Overwatch 2, they are initially available on both the free Battle Pass and premium Battle Pass of the Season.
You can unlock them for free by completing their seasonal challenges, or by buying their bundle with Overwatch Coins.
Here’s what you need to do to get each new Hero in Overwatch 2.
- Wins: Win 35 games as DPS heroes in different game modes, like Quick Play, No Limits or Competitive Mode.
- Practice Railgun Primary Fire: Eliminate three enemy bots using Railgun’s primary fire mode.
- Practice Railgun Secondary Fire: Eliminate two enemy bots using Railgun’s secondary fire.
- Practice Power Slide: Deal damage while using Sojourn’s Power Slide ability.
- Practice Disruptor Shot: Damage two enemy bots with a single Disruptor Shot.
- Practice Overclock: Kill three enemy bots with Sojourn’s Ultimate, Overclock.
- Wins: Win 35 games queued as All Roles or playing Support heroes in competitive matchmaking, Quick Play, or No Limits.
- Practice Kunai Crits: Get two critical hits with Kiriko’s Kunai.
- Practice Healing Ofuda: Heal 250 damage with Kiriko’s Healing Ofuda on allied bots.
- Practice Protection Suzu: Use Protection Suzu on two allied bots simultaneously.
- Practice Swift Step: Use Swift Step through a wall to an allied bot.
- Practice Wall Climb: Use Kiriko’s passive, Wall Climb, in the Practice Range.
- Practice Kitsune Rush: Buff two allied buffs with Kiriko’s Ultimate, Kitsune Rush.
- Wins: Win 35 games as a Tank hero in any game mode.
- Practice Void Accelerator: Eliminate three enemy bots with Void Accelerator.
- Practice Ravenous Vortex: Use Ravenous Vortex during Omnic Form and Nemesis Form.
- Practice Pummel: Damage two enemy robots simultaneously with Pummel while in Ramattra’s Nemesis Form.
- Practice Barrier: Absorb 30 damage while using Void Barrier.
- Practice Block: Block 30 damage while in Ramattra’s Nemesis Form.
- Practice Annihilation: Extend the duration of Ramattra’s Ultimate, Annihilation, for six seconds or more while near enemy robots.
- Wins: Win matches as a Tank hero in Quick Play, Competitive, or No Limits. As with Sojourn and Kiriko, 35 wins are required.
- Practice Scattergun: Eliminate three bots with Scattergun.
- Practice Commanding Shout: Provide two friendly bots with the buff from a single use of Commanding Shout.
- Practice Jagged Blade: Recall Jagged Blade while still stuck in an enemy.
- Practice Carnage: Use Carnage on an enemy bot while impaled with Jagged Blade to pull them forward.
- Practice Adrenaline Rush: Heal yourself using Adrenaline Rush.
- Practice Rampage: Damage two enemy robots in one single use of her Ultimate, Rampage.
- Wins: Win 25 games queued as All Roles or by playing Support in Quick Play, No Limits, or Competitive.
- Practice Thorn Volley: Eliminate 2 bots with Thorn Volley in the Practice Range.
- Practice Healing Blossom: Restore 75 Health with Healing Blossom (secondary fire)
- Practice Life Grip: Use Life Grip on an AI bot in the Practice Range
- Practice Petal Platform: Have yourself or an AI bot stand on the Petal Platform and be lifted into the air in the Practice Range
- Practice Rejuvenating Dash: Restore 25 Health to yourself by using Rejuvenating Dash
- Practice Tree of Life: Restore 50 health and block 50 incoming damage using Lifeweaver’s Ultimate, Tree of Life, in the Practice Range
- Wins for Illari: Complete 50 games queued as All Roles or playing Support heroes in Quick Play, Competitive Play, or No Limits. Wins grant double progress.
- Practice Healing Pylon: Attach Healing Pylon to a wall or ceiling and heal 150 damage with it in the Practice Range as Illari.
- Practice Solar Rifle primary fire: Deal 400 damage using Solar Rifle’s fully-charged primary fire in the Practice Range as Illari.
- Practice Captive Sun: Detonate a Sunstruck enemy after using Captive Sun in the Practice Range as Illari.
- Practice Outburst: Activate Outburst with and without the high jump in the Practice Range as Illari.
- Practice Solar Rifle secondary fire: Heal 200 damage using Solar Rifle’s secondary fire in the Practice Range as Illari.
How to unlock Mauga in Overwatch 2 Season 8
In Overwatch 2, you’ll be able to unlock Mauga for free after reaching Tier 45 in the standard Season 8 Battle Pass or immediately after buying the Premium Battle Pass.
You will also be able to unlock him by completing Hero Challenges, which will be revealed when Season 8 starts on December 5, 2023.
And that’s everything you need to know about how to unlock all Overwatch 2 Heroes. If you want to know more about Blizzard’s RPG, you can check our guides below:
Best Overwatch 2 PC settings | How to get Golden Guns in Overwatch 2 | Best Overwatch 2 Heroes | Who is the most popular Overwatch 2 Heroes | How to check your rank in Overwatch 2 | Is Overwatch 2 split-screen? | How to spectate matches in Overwatch 2 | Best Overwatch 2 controller settings: Controller layout, sensitivity, Aim Assist, Gyro, more