How to play Diablo 4 in couch co-op split screen
Diablo 4 has many multiplayer features to enhance the player experience and couch co-op is one of them. Here’s how you can enjoy Diablo 4 with friends in a split screen mode on Xbox and PlayStation and if there’s a way to access this feature on PC.
The Diablo 4 open beta was the biggest in the franchise’s history and if we ignore the server issues, it seemed like a huge hit. From character classes to world bosses, players got familiar with a wide range of in-game mechanics that will define their gaming experience.
A feature that has been in Diablo games for quite a long time is a split-screen co-op and luckily, Diablo 4 will have it on launch as well. There are some minor changes in the mode but the ability to play together from a couch is still the core of it.
Here’s how you can access the split-screen co-op feature in Diablo 4 on Xbox and PlayStation consoles.
- Is there couch co-op in Diablo 4 on PC?
- How to play Diablo 4 in couch co-op with friends
- Is couch co-op in Diablo 4 different than Diablo 3?
Is there couch co-op in Diablo 4 on PC?
No, Diablo 4 doesn’t have a split-screen couch co-op mode on PC. The feature is exclusive to consoles (Xbox and PlayStation) despite the fact that you can play the game with a controller on a PC as well.
While speaking to Eurogamer, Diablo general manager Rob Fergusson explained that they couldn’t introduce couch co-op to PC because of technical issues. As per Fergusson, it is harder to sign in to two Battle.net accounts on PC.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest updates on Esports, Gaming and more.
How to play Diablo 4 in couch co-op with friends
You can follow these steps to enable couch co-op in Diablo 4 on Xbox and PlayStation:
- Launch Diablo 4 on your console and activate the first player’s controller.
- Turn on the second player’s Xbox/PlayStation controller.
- A prompt will appear in the bottom right section of the screen saying P2 is connected.
- Press the button you’re asked to press in the prompt.
- The second player has to log in with their Xbox/PlayStation account that is linked to Blizzard.
- Wait for the loading to finish and the second player should get an option to select their character from the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Select the character and Player 2 will finally join your world.
To promote couch co-op during the open beta and early access stages, Blizzard handed out bonus XP to players in couch co-op modes. Based on the feedback, the developers might make some changes before the official release.
Is couch co-op in Diablo 4 different than Diablo 3?
Yes, the couch co-op mode in Diablo 4 arrived with a few tweaks and the major ones include:
- The maximum limit of couch co-op has been reduced from 4 to 2 players.
- Both players in the co-op world now have independent menus except for wardrobe and map.
- Both players can visit different merchants at the same time.
Clearly, the couch co-op experience in Diablo 4 will be more efficient than the previous games. Thanks to independent menus, you won’t have to wait for your partner to sort their inventory and it saves a lot of time when such tasks can be carried out together.
We’ll update this article whenever we have more info regarding the local multiplayer co-op mode in Diablo 4.
For similar guides on 2023’s biggest releases, make sure to check out our hubs for Redfall, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, and Dead Island 2.
Image Credits: Blizzard Entertainment