Best controller settings for Modern Warfare 3: Sensitivity, aim assist, movement, more
You can customize your controller settings greatly in Modern Warfare 3 which helps you better your gameplay. To set up the best controller settings in MW3, you’ll need to have the optimal stick sensitivity, aim assist, and other gameplay settings, so here’s what you need.
Modern Warfare 3 is in full swing, offering Call of Duty fans a ton of content to try out, with Season 1 around the corner. The launch on November 10 brought all the maps from MW2 2009, along with new weapons, and also marked the return of slide canceling in the franchise.
However, if you wish to enjoy and lay waste to your opponents with ease on the console, you need to customize your controller settings. These settings significantly impact several aspects of the game, like aiming and movement, and may be difficult to understand while tuning as to your liking.
So, here are the best controller settings for MW3, including sensitivity, aim assist, inputs, and more.
- Best Modern Warfare 3 controller settings
- Best Modern Warfare 3 Aim Assist type
- Best Modern Warfare 3 Aim Response Curve
- Best Modern Warfare 3 FOV settings
Best Modern Warfare 3 controller settings
- Button Layout Preset: Tactical
- L1 Button Ping: Off
- Flip L1/R1 with L2/R2: If you want faster button press time or play with claw grip, you could turn this on
- Stick Layout Preset: Default
- Controller Vibration: Off
- Trigger Effect: Off
Modern Warfare 3 introduces a new Deadzone Input Test, that lets players accurately test their sticks’ deadzone in real-time and precisely configure them.
Reducing your Deadzone settings to their minimum values enhances both your reaction time and fine-aim control, resulting in quicker responses and greater accuracy.
- Horizontal Stick Sensitivity: 6
- Vertical Stick Sensitivity: 6
- ADS Sensitivity Multiplier: 0.90
- Sensitivity Multiplier:
- Ground Vehicles: 1.00
- Tablet: 1.00
- Verticle Aim Axis:
- On Foot: Standard
- Ground Vehicles: Standard
- Tac-Stance Sensitivity Multiplier: 0.90
- Aim Response Curve Type: Dynamic
- ADS Sensitivity Multiplier (Focus): 0.90
- ADS Sensitivity Transition Timing: Instant
- Custom Sensitivity Per Zoom: Off
For optimal gameplay in Modern Warfare 3, we suggest starting with a sensitivity setting of 6, though sensitivity is a matter of personal preference. As you gain experience, consider gradually increasing your sensitivity to a level that feels comfortable.
Higher sensitivity settings enable faster turning, giving you an advantage in reacting to enemies approaching from various angles.
- Target Aim Assist: On
- Aim Assist Type: Black Ops
Motion Sensor Aiming
- Motion Sensor Behavior: Off
- Automatic Sprint: Off
- Sprint/Tactical Sprint Behavior: Toggle
- Auto Move Forward: Off
- Tactical Sprint Behavior: Double Tap
- Grounded Mantle: On
- Automatic Airborne Mantle: Partial
- Automatic Ground Mantle/Hang: Off
- Slide/Dive Behavior: Tap to Slide
- Plunging Underwater: Free
- Parachute Auto-Deploy: Off
- Sprinting Door Bash: On
- Ledge Climb Behavior: Mantle Only
- Slide Cancel Sprint: On
- Aim Down Sight Behavior: Hold
- Change Zoom Activation: Off
- Equipment Behavior: Hold
- Weapon Mount Activation: ADS + Melee
- Weapon Mount Exit Delay: Medium
- Tactical Stance Activation: ADS + Melee
- Tactical Stance Behavior: On Toggle
- Interact/Reload Behavior: Tap to Reload
- Armor Plate Behavior: Apply All
- ADS Stick Swap: Off
- Backpack Control: Directional Buttons
- Depleted Ammo Weapon Switch: On
- Quick C4 Detonation: Grouped
- Manual Fire Behavior: Press
- Vehicle Camera Recenter: Short Delay
- Camera Initial Position: Free Look
- Lean-Out Activation: Melee
- Ping Wheel Delay: Moderate
- Double Tap Danger Ping Delay: Moderate
- Killstreak Wheel Behavior: Hold
Best Modern Warfare 3 Aim Assist type
If you want to ensure your aim assist is perfectly tuned when playing Modern Warfare 3, then you can take it a step further by ensuring you’re using the best Aim Assist type. Here’s what each type means:
- Default: Traditional aim slowdown near target used in Modern Warfare games.
- Precision: Strong aim slowdown that only kicks in when aiming closer to the target. Recommended for accurate players.
- Focusing: Strong aim slowdown that also kicks in when narrowly missing the target. Recommended for players new to analog aiming.
- Black Ops: Traditional aim slowdown near target used in Black Ops games
The Focusing type is ideal for new shooter players, but once you gain confidence, it’s advisable to transition away from it as you may feel aim assist to be overly powerful.
While there isn’t a significant distinction between Black Ops and Default aim assist types, experimenting with both could determine which suits your preferences.
Best Modern Warfare 3 Aim Response Curve
Modern Warfare 3 offers players three types of Aim Response Curve that change how your aim rate responds to your thumbstick movements, so here’s a breakdown of the three types you’ll find in the game:
- Standard: Simple power curve map from aim stick to aim rate
- Linear: Aim stick maps directly to aim rate
- Dynamic: Reverse S-curve mapping for fine aim rate control
When it comes to the Aim Response Curve, most players favor the Standard option for its natural feel. However, if you’re skilled and comfortable with the controller, we suggest using the Dynamic option for finer control. Lastly, avoid the Linear option altogether for the best experience.
Best Modern Warfare 3 FOV settings
We suggest adjusting your Modern Warfare 3 Field of View within the range of 100 to 115. This strikes a balance, allowing you to have a broad view of your surroundings to avoid surprise attacks while ensuring that enemy players remain reasonably visible and easy to track, without appearing too small.
Although it might not be immediately apparent, your FOV setting can have a significant impact on both your controller and mouse and keyboard performance when playing Modern Warfare 3.
How to find the best Modern Warfare 3 controller settings
Unfortunately, there won’t be a list of settings that work perfectly for everyone. Therefore, the most effective approach to finding the best control settings is making the most of the MW3 by testing with different configurations until you find the one that suits your preferences and play style.
Those are the best controller settings for Modern Warfare 3. For more, be sure to check out our other guides:
When is Ranked Play coming to Modern Warfare 3? | Every Warzone map available in MW3 Season 1 | Modern Warfare 3 War mode explained | Modern Warfare 3 Zombies Zones explained | How to get MGB Tactical Nuke Killstreak in Modern Warfare 3