Donning a cape in Minecraft is as cool as it sounds but unlike a ton of items, you cannot craft them. There are limited ways to obtain capes in Minecraft Bedrock and Java editions and this guide will cover them all.
Owning a cape says a lot about your expertise in Minecraft, at least on the Java edition. They were first released during the 2011 Minecon event and the attendees got these in-game skins for free until 2016.
Thereafter, Mojang has rarely released capes and if you have one of the originals on your account, the community will certainly know that you’re a veteran. Having said that, new players should not worry about never owning a cape as there are many ways to get one now.
From mods to account migration, here’s every method to get capes in Minecraft.
- How to get capes in Minecraft Java Edition without mods
- How to get capes in Minecraft Bedrock edition without mods
- How to get a cape in Minecraft Java Edition with mods
- How to equip capes in Minecraft
How to get capes in Minecraft Java Edition without mods
From 2011-2016, Minecraft players who attended MINECON events received free capes as a reward from the devs. MINECON events are now virtual but back in the day, you had to purchase a ticket and attend it physically. It is safe to say that only a few thousand veterans own such MINECON-themed capes in the Java Edition.
- Read More: How to make a spyglass in Minecraft
The upcoming Minecraft Festival that was postponed can be a great opportunity for new players to get a cape. The date for this real-world event is to-be-declared but it will most likely hand out an exclusive cape to the attendees.
Minecraft players can get the Migrator Cape for free after migrating their Mojang account to Microsoft accounts. This is a fairly easy process as it involves following the on-screen prompts and verifying your e-mail address. The only prerequisites are a Microsoft and an Xbox account.
Minecraft players who owned both Java and Bedrock editions on the same account before June 6, 2022, have received the Vanilla cape as a token of appreciation from the devs.
How to get capes in Minecraft Bedrock edition without mods
Capes aren’t rare in Minecraft Bedrock edition when compared to Java. This is because the Java edition capes from MINECON 2011-2016 were a part of skin packs in Bedrock and anyone could purchase them regardless of whether they’ve attended the corresponding events or not.
- Read More: 10 best Minecraft texture packs
Moreover, skin packs like Adventure Time Mash-Up and Star Wars have exciting cape designs that you’d definitely love to see on your character.
Lastly, you can also get the Pan Cape in Minecraft Bedrock edition by signing up for the Beta Bedrock edition.
How to get a cape in Minecraft Java Edition with mods
Minecraft mods let you alter literally every aspect of the game, and it is no surprise that you can also add capes through them. However, the capes you equip through mods are exclusive to your own game and others cannot see them. Similarly, many Minecraft SMP servers disable capes and other modded skins when you enter them.
- Read More: How to make and upgrade armor in Minecraft
Get a Minecraft cape through OptiFine
Often considered the best mod in Minecraft history, OptiFine, allows you to get custom capes for $10. The mod in itself is free but to get capes, you need to pay the devs this small fee.
- Read More: Best Minecraft XP farms
Follow these steps to get a Minecraft cape through OptiFine:
- Visit the official OptiFine Donate website.
- Enter your Minecraft username. Enter the name carefully as the cape will be activated for the account you enter.
- Pay 10$ to OptiFine devs. The mode of payment is flexible and based on your region, you can choose Paymentwall, PayPal, PaySafeCard, UKash, Prepaid Cards, e-Wallets, Credit Card,
Bank Transfer, and other modes.
- You’ll get the OptiFine Cape as a reward for donating.
Yet again, for other players to see these capes, they must also be using OptiFine 1.1 B or newer.
Another thing to note here is that Minecraft Bedrock edition doesn’t support mods and you can only use add-ons to improve your experience or add capes.
How to equip capes in Minecraft
- Open the Minecraft launcher.
- Select Java Edition and then go to Options > Skin Customization.
- Here, you’ll find the capes installed through mods as well as the authentic ones. Equip, unequip, or alter them as per your need.
- Launch the game and from the main menu, head to the Dressing Room by clicking on your profile avatar.
- From the drop-down menu on the left side of the screen, select Capes and select/customize the desired skins.
Do note that there are some Mojang employees, content creators, and players who have the privilege of owning official custom capes. For instance, a Reddit user named u/billyk_ has their own cape for suggesting the release of turtles in their game.
- Read More: How to make and use fireworks in Minecraft
Hence, being a dedicated member of the Minecraft community might lead to Mojang rewarding you with your own cape but until then, you can rely on the methods mentioned above.
Image Credits: Mojang
FIFA 23 Winter Wildcards: Expected start date & leaks
FIFA 23 leaks indicate that FUT fans will once again receive the Winter Wildcards promo, spreading the holiday cheer to...
Modern Warfare 2 players discover easy one-shot trick to kill Juggernauts
Juggernaut users in Modern Warfare 2 need to proceed with caution as a quick and easy method has been found...
How to get Fortnite Football Club skins & free Football Tag Spray
New Football Club Skins as well as a free Football Tag Spray are available in Fortnite, and here's how you...