How to get a shovel in Sons of the Forest: Shovel location & guide
A shovel is an extremely valuable item in Sons of the Forest as it’ll allow you to get many vital late-game items. Here’s how to get a shovel in Sons of the Forest including its location and the required items.
Sons of the Forest is here, stranding players on a deadly island teeming with terrifying cannibals and mutants. Along with keeping your vitals healthy with water, you’ll need tools to survive the wilderness.
The shovel is one of the most important tools in Sons of the Forest, giving you access to powerful items such as the Shotgun. Here’s everything you need to get a shovel in Sons of the Forest, including the requirements and its location.
- Shovel requirements in Sons of the Forest
- How to get a Shovel in Sons of the Forest
Shovel requirements in Sons of the Forest
If you’re looking to get a shovel in Sons of the Forst, you’ll first need to get a Rope Gun and a Rebreather.
How to get the Rope Gun in Sons of the Forest
To get a Rope Gun in Sons of the Forest, you’ll need to journey through a cave near the helicopter crash site on the west side of the island, near the rivers. You can check out the exact location on the map.
Here’s everything you need to do:
- With a weapon and light source equipped, break the wood to enter the cave near the western rivers.
- Use your weapons to fight through the mutants inside the cave.
- Keep going until you find the entrance blocked by a Sluggy. Use the Time Bombs on the ground to blast through it.
- Keep advancing while fighting mutants. You know you’re on the right path after passing bodies hanging from the ceiling, a steep downward slope, and then skeletons hanging from the ceiling.
- Eventually, you’ll be able to take a right turn which will lead you to the Rope Gun.
- After picking up the Rope Gun, use it to create a zipline leading out of the cave.
How to get the Rebreather in Sons of the Forest
The Rebreather is also found inside a cave in Sons of the Forest, this time at a cave on the north coast of the island. We’ve marked it on the map below.
Here’s how to get a Rebreather:
- Enter the cave by breaking through the wooden panels.
- Keep going until the cave splits, and turn left. Going right will lead you to the Stun Gun so it’s worth a quick detour.
- Keep following the cave until you reach the cavern with water.
- The Rebreather will emit light, so pick it up.
- Use the Rebreather to go underwater and swim out of the cave.
How to get the Shovel in Sons of the Forest
With a Rope Gun and a Rebreather in hand, you can head to the cave west of the snowy mountains to get the shovel. We’ve marked it on the map below.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to getting the shovel in Sons of the Forest:
- Enter the cave and use the Rope Gun to zipline across the gap.
- Enter the water and use the Rebreather to navigate through the underwater passages.
- After leaving the water, defeat the mutants and loot the wetsuit outfit from the ground.
- Slide down the steep slope and progress through the cave while defeating mutants.
- Leap over the stalagmites next to the dead miners’ bodies and go underwater.
- You can take a right here to grab the flashlight attachment for weapons, but keep going straight to find the shovel.
- Fight through mutants and reach the end of the passageway and you’ll find the shovel on a miner’s corpse.
You’ll now have the shovel, giving you access to many more top-tier items in Sons of the Forest.
For more on Sons of the Forest, be sure to check out some of our other guides:
Image Credit: Endnight Games / Map Genie