Best rare Pokemon to catch in Scarlet & Violet

Joaquín Frere
Ceruledge in Pokemon Scaret and Violet

If you are looking for the best Pokemon to catch in Scarlet and Violet, look no further. Here’s a list of some of the best Pokemon in Paldea based on rarity.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet contain some of the rarest creatures in the franchise, given the addition of the new Paradox Pokemon or regional forms. Paldea holds many mysteries, and its Pokemon are also part of them.

From a family of mice, an apple with many forms, or even some creatures that resemble classic video game characters, Scarlet and Violet have it all. If you are looking to add some of the rare catches from Paldea and Kitakami to your team, look no further.

Here are ten of the best Pokemon in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.

Armarouge & Ceruledge

Armarouge and Ceruledge in Scarlet and Violet

Armarouge and Ceruledge are some of the best-looking Pokemon in Scarlet and Violet, and fans say their designs resemble some classic video game characters.

The original Megaman artist Hitoshi Ariga is known for working on the Pokemon series since X/Y, helping out Satoshi Tajiri, the original illustrator for the Pokemon series. It wouldn’t be a surprise that they actually were inspired by Megaman and Protoman.

Evolving its previous and rare form Charcadet will present its own difficulties, as it will send players on a quest to gather some unique Pokemon items. The Fire/Psychic-type Armarouge can only be obtained in Scarlet, and the Fire/Ghost-type Ceruledge can only be obtained in Violet.

Gholdengo

Gholdengo in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
Once you get 1000 Ghimmighoul coins, you can evolve it into Gholdengo.

Gholdengo is probably the rarest Pokemon in Scarlet and Violet, with one of the most difficult evolution methods in the franchise. Its previous form Ghimmighoul can be found in its Chest form in the old Paldean towers scattered around the open world.

The rare Roaming Form Ghimmighoul can only be caught in Pokemon Go, and players will need Pokemon HOME to transfer it to Scarlet and Violet. Once you have any of the Ghimmighoul forms, you will need to find 999 Ghimmighoul coins to evolve it into the Steel/Ghost-type Gholdengo.

Hero form Palafin

Palafin Hero Form in Scarlet and Violet

The Water-type dolphin Pokemon Finizen has a very rare evolution in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, and it can be missed if players don’t pay attention. Finizen can evolve into Palafin at Level 38 while playing online, but if you look quickly you will only see a heart mark under its face as the main difference.

Its rareness starts with its evolution, as it will transform into the Hero Form when switched from battle. Like All-Might in My Hero Academia, it will start small but once switched, it will come back in all its glory ready to take down its opposition.

Blaze Breed Tauros

Blaze breed Tauros
Tauros has a regional variant in Paldea.

Blaze Breed Tauros is the Kantonian Tauros regional form in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, and besides the Aqua Breed and Combat Breed being present, the Fighting/Fire-type is the best choice of them all.

Its rarity resides in being the regional form of one of the most famous Kanto Pokemon, and along with its Aqua Breed, its body and type changes. It is great against Normal-type Pokemon with its Fighting-type attacks but it can also crush low-defense creatures with its Physical Fire-type attacks.

Roaring Moon

Roaring Moon in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet

If you have a Salamance in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, Roaring Moon will almost look no different. The Dragon/Dark-type Paradox Pokemon is part of the Past creatures that can be found in Area Zero, and it is also one of the most powerful and rare Pokemon in the game.

It can be found within very few areas of Area Zero, and as with every other Paradox Pokemon, it can be much better in battle paired with the Booster Energy item. Its origin and lore are unknown, and alongside Iron Valiant they have some of the highest stats for a non-Legendary Pokemon.

Family of Three Maushold

Maushold family of three
Maushold can appear in Family of Three and Family of Four versions.

The family of mice Pokemon Maushold is a very rare sight in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, and its previous form Tandemaus can be hard to spot. Besides being a rather strong Normal-type Pokemon, its rareness resides in its evolution forms.

There is a 99% chance of evolving Tandemaus at Level 25 while battling into the Family of Four version, while the Family of Three only has a 1% chance. This is completely random, and players will have to check the menu to see which Maushold they’ve got since this Pokemon doesn’t have an evolution animation.

Iron Valiant

Iron Valiant in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

The Gallade/Gardevoir Paradox form is one of Pokemon Scarlet and Violet’s most powerful creatures. It can be obtained in very few segments of Area Zero, and it’s part of the Future Pokemon found in Pokemon Violet.

Not only does its design make it rare, but its lore and origin, as with every Paradox Pokemon, is completely unknown. Its Fairy/Fighting-type makes it very strong for most combat situations and a great counter to Dragon-Types.

3-segment Dudunsparce

Dunsparce evolution in Paldea: Dudunsparce
Dunsparce’s evolution in Paldea can have 2 or 3 segments in its body.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet feature a very peculiar evolution for Dunsparce, the Pokemon from the Johto Region. Dudunsparce can be found, or evolved from its base form, in two possibilities: 2-segment and 3-segment forms.

To evolve Dunsparce into Dudunsparce, players need to teach it the Hyper Drill move. The next time it levels up, it will evolve into its larger form, and similar to Maushold, it has a 1% chance of becoming the rare 3-segment version of it.

Masterpiece Form Poltchageist

Poltchageist in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet

If you remember Sinistea from the Galar Region, the Pokemon Scarlet and Violet DLC brought a regional form called Sinistcha that can evolve into the Grass/Ghost-type matcha Pokemon Poltchageist.

As its regional counterpart, the rare matcha Pokemon Sinistcha can be found in its Counterfeit and Masterpiece forms. Each form needs a different item to evolve, and the only way to know which form you have is by checking the stamp of authenticity underneath it.

Applin

Applin in trees of Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
Applin is a Grass/Dragon-type that hangs from trees.

The rare Grass/Dragon-type can be found by hitting trees in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, or in Kitakami Island on the apple fields. It was first sighted in the Galar Region, and now it features a new evolution in Paldea, with each of its forms needing a different item to evolve.

The Apple Pokemon is a powerhouse and very versatile when considering all the options to evolve it has. Dipplin excels in multi-target damage, Flapple’s expertise is single-target battles and Appletun has high defense making him a very decent tank.

For more on Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, check out the rest of our content:

How to get all starters in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet | How to evolve Feebas into Milotic in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet | How to get Phantump and Trevenant in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet | Pokemon Scarlet & Violet Tera Raid Battles explained | Pokemon Scarlet & Violet Terastal Phenomenon explained | How to get all Evolution Stones in Pokemon Scarlet & Violet

About The Author

Joaquín is a new Senior Writer for Charlie Intel with years of experience on games journalism. Focusing on all things JRPGs and a videogame developer at heart. Graduated from Game-Dev School and Public Relations, his current work is Charlie Intel and Infobae for LATAM. You can contact Joaquín at [email protected]