All playable Baldur’s Gate 3 races: Best classes & abilities explained
Baldur’s Gate 3’s character creation grants players the freedom to choose which race they want to play as. We’ll break down all of the available races in Baldur’s Gate 3 along with their best classes and abilities.
After a long early access period, Baldur’s Gate 3 has finally arrived, and you can now check out the game’s lengthy campaign, but you’ll first need to create your own character. The character creation in the game grants you plenty of flexibility.
One of the most important decisions that you’ll make in Baldur’s Gate 3’s character creation is assigning a race to your custom character. With an array of available races, each conferring unique abilities, your chosen race can profoundly influence the efficiency of your class.
We’ll go over all of the playable races in Baldur’s Gate 3 to help you choose the best option for your playstyle.
All races available in Baldur’s Gate 3, abilities & best class
Baldur’s Gate 3 features a total of 11 different races that players can choose from while in the character creation process. The race you pick will boast its own unique set of perks, abilities, and features.
- Ability: +1 Charisma and +2 Dexterity
- Racial Feature: Base Racial Speed, Fey Ancestry, Superior Darkvision, Proficiency in Rapier, Shortsword, and Hand Crossbow
- Best Class: Rogue, Warlock, Sorcerer, Bard
- Ability: +2 Strength and +1 Charisma
- Racial Feature: Draconic Ancestry and Base Racial Speed
- Best Class: Paladin, Fighter, Warlock
- Ability: +2 Constitution
- Racial Feature: Darkvision, Dwarven Resilience, Proficiency in Battleaxe, Handaxe, Light Hammer, and Warhammer
- Best Class: Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin
- Ability: +2 Dexterity
- Racial Feature: Darkvision, Keen Senses, Fey Ancestry, Proficiency in Longsword, Shortsword, Longbow, and Shortbow
- Best Class: Ranger, Fighter, Rogue
- Ability: +1 Intelligence and + 2 Strength
- Racial Feature: Githyanki Psionics: Mage Hand Conjuration Cantrip, Choice of skill proficiency, Base Racial Speed, Proficiency in Light Armor, Medium Armor, Shortsword, Longsword, and Greatsword
- Best Class: Wizard, Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin
- Ability: +2 Intelligence
- Racial Feature: Gnome Cunning
- Best Class: Wizard
- Ability: +2 Dexterity
- Racial Feature: Lucky
- Best Class: Rogue
- Ability: +2 Charisma and +2 Ability to one other ability of your choice
- Racial Feature: Fey Ancestry and Darkvision
- Best Class: Warlock, Sorcerer, Bard, Paladin
- Ability: +1 Strength, + 1 Dexterity, +1 Constitution, +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom, and +1 Charisma
- Racial Feature: Base Racial Speed
- Best Class: Any
- Ability: +2 Strength and +1 Constitution
- Racial Feature: Base Racial Speed, Darkvision, Relentless Endurance, Menacing, Savage Attacks
- Best Class: Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin, Cleric
- Ability: Depends on Subrace
- Asmodeus Tiefling: +1 Intelligence and +2 Charisma
- Mephistopheles Tiefling: +1 Intelligence and +2 Charisma
- Zariel Tiefling: +1 Strength and +2 Charisma
- Racial Feature: Darkvision and Hellish Resistance
- Best Class: Bard, Warlock, Wizard, Paladin
That covers all of the available races that you can select in Baldur’s Gate 3.
For more on Baldur’s Gate 3, check out our guides below:
Baldur’s Gate 3 romance | Is Baldur’s Gate 3 Steam Deck compatible? | Does Baldur’s Gate 3 have microtransactions? | Is there DLC for Baldur’s Gate 3? | How long is Baldur’s Gate 3? | Is Baldur’s Gate 3 coming to Nintendo Switch? | Is Baldur’s Gate 3 coming to Xbox? | What is the max level in Baldur’s Gate 3?