Has Star Wars Battlefront 3 been canceled? Leaks, rumors & everything we know
Although rumors made it likely that Star Wars Battlefront 3 was in development, recent reports claim DICE and EA have abandoned the game in favor of continuing to support Battlefield 2042.
The Star Wars Battlefront franchise was rebooted in 2015 by DICE on the Frostbite engine. Huge battles, stunning visuals, and sounds directly from the films made the game a Star Wars fan’s dream.
Although 2017’s Battlefront 2 loot box system received massive backlash, changing how microtransactions were implemented in video games forever, Star Wars fans loved the core gameplay and were desperate for Battlefront 3.
However, following on from Battlefield 2042’s troubled release and the recent news that Respawn Entertainment are working on new Star Wars titles, journalist Jeff Grubb has reported that Star Wars Battlefront 3 isn’t in development.
Here’s everything we know about Battlefront 3.
- Battlefront 3 reportedly not in development
- Respawn developing new Star Wars FPS
- Battlefront 2 actors returned to work
Star Wars Battlefront 3 reportedly not in development
It was announced on January 25 that Respawn Entertainment would be developing three new Star Wars titles and alongside this news, VentureBeat’s Jeff Grubb reported that “Battlefront 3 isn’t happening.”
- Read more: Will Battlefield 2042 go free-to-play?
Battlefront 3 was noticeably absent from EA’s latest Star Wars video game announcement. Then, suspicions were seemingly confirmed after Grubb said “DICE, which is still putting out fires with Battlefield 2042, is focusing on the Battlefield franchise going forward.”
It was previously reported by industry insider Tom Henderson that Battlefront 3’s pitch was denied because it was too expensive to make.
Unfortunately, it sounds like Battlefront 3 isn’t in development.
Respawn Entertainment developing Star Wars FPS game
It was announced that one of the titles Respawn Entertainment are developing is a new Star Wars FPS title.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest updates on Esports, Gaming and more.
- Read more: Apex Legends ad teases Season 12 map update
The project will be helmed by Peter Hirschmann, who worked on fan-favorites such as the original Battlefront II, The Force Unleashed, the classic LEGO games, and Republic Commando.
Little is known about this new Star Wars FPS game, but it’s highly unlikely that it’s anything to do with the Battlefront franchise.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 actors returned to work
Battlefront 3 rumors began to fly when actors from Battlefront 2’s campaign tweeted that they were working together again in late 2020, posting images of motion capture suits.
- Read more: All Apex Legends voice actors in Season 12
Several actors from the original Battlefront game have posted that they are back to work on social media. In November, TJ Ramini, who played Del Meeko, posted an image of him holding a motion capture suit to his Twitter. Alongside it, he said “Hello, old friend,” with a video game controller emoji beside it.
Janina Gavankar, who played Iden Versio, posted an image of a motion capture suit around the same time.
Also, Anthony Skordi, who played Imperial Admiral Versio, posted a picture of him in a recording booth and bantered with Ramini, confirming they were working on a project together.
With these actors confirming they are working together and posting motion suit pictures around the same time, many believed they were working on the Star Wars Battlefront 3 campaign together.
It’s possible that they were working on Battlefront 3 which has since been scrapped, it could have been for another Star Wars project, or a different project entirely.
Also, be sure to check out everything we know about Crysis 4 and the rumored Warzone 2.
Image Credits: DICE / EA / Respawn Entertainment