How to change your Fortnite username on PC, Xbox, PlayStation & Nintendo Switch
Looking to switch up your Fortnite username for a fresh start? You’re in luck, Epic Games has made it a breeze to modify your username on PC, all without costing you a penny. Discover how to change your Fortnite username with our step-by-step guide.
In the world of online gaming, you’ll get the chance to create a unique username that helps your friends find you. Fortnite, the ever-popular battle royale from Epic Games, is no exception.
Over time, you might grow tired of your initial choice and want a new username. The good news is that Fortnite offers a hassle-free solution to update your username on PC, Nintendo Switch, and mobile. Here’s how to change your Fortnite username, including a guide for those on Xbox and PlayStation.
How to change Fortnite username on PC & Nintendo Switch
Epic Games made the name-changing process in Fortnite completely free of charge on PC, Nintendo Switch, and mobile, and it’s fairly straightforward as well. The only downside is that you can’t do it more than once every two weeks, so you’ll have to pick wisely.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Visit the Epic Games website here and click Sign in in the top right-hand corner.
- Sign in to your account.
- Hover over your username in the top right corner and click Account.
- Under Account Info click the blue pen icon next to your current username.
- Type in your new username and hit Confirm.
That’s all you need to do in order to change your username in Fortnite. If you followed these instructions correctly, then you’ll then see a green notification at the top of your screen that says “Name updated,” confirming the change.
How to change Fortnite username on Xbox & PlayStation
This process is a bit different if you play Fortnite on Xbox since your username is tied to your Gamertag. Meaning that if you want to change it in the battle royale, then you’ll have to alter your overall profile name.
Here’s how you can change your Fortnite username on Xbox:
- Hold down the Xbox button on your controller.
- Head over to Profile and System, then select your current Gamertag.
- Choose My Profile, then select Customize Profile.
- Type in your new Gamertag under the Choose new Gamertag tab.
Unfortunately, this method isn’t free as with the PC, as you’ll have to spend a bit of cash. Alternatively, you can change it by logging into your Microsoft account on your browser. Just remember that your Gamertag will be your name on other online games too.
Similarly, you can change it on the PS4 or PS5 by altering your PSN name:
- Head over to Settings from the PlayStation home screen.
- Select Account Management and then open up Account Information.
- Scroll down and then select Profile to choose your Online ID.
- Click I Accept on the pop up window that appears and enter your new Online ID here.
- Click Confirm and leave the screen to see your new username.
That’s all there is to it, and as with the Xbox One, your username will change across all of your online games when you do this. You can also change it from your browser by heading over to your PlayStation Network Account.
We hope that this guide has been helpful to you in changing your username on Fortnite. For more, be sure to check out our other Fortnite guides:
How to land at Hot Spots in Fortnite | Fortnite Exotic weapon locations | When does the next Fortnite season start? | How to find Scout Regiment Footlockers in Fortnite | All Fortnite Reality Augments | What does Siphon mean in Fortnite? | What are account levels in Fortnite? | Best Fortnite PC settings