Grand Theft Auto 5’s next-gen versions are finally here, and players can now transfer their GTA Online character and GTA 5 story mode progress to the Xbox Series X|S and PS5 rerelease.
After debuting on the Xbox 360 and PS3 almost a decade ago, GTA 5 is still as relevant as ever, with thousands of players jumping into Los Santos daily. That number is set to spike again, with Rockstar releasing the next-gen version of the game, complete with updated graphics and exclusive vehicles.
If you’ve been playing the PS4 or Xbox One version of GTA Online, the good news is that your progress won’t be lost when you pick up the new version. Players will be able to migrate both their online and story modes to the updated GTA 5 game, and we’ve got everything you need to do it.
- How to transfer GTA 5 saves to Xbox Series X|S and PS5.
- How to transfer GTA Online characters with next-gen update
How to transfer GTA Online characters to PS5 and Xbox Series X
The good news is that transferring your GTA Online character from your PS4 or Xbox One to PS5 or Xbox Series X is relatively straightforward. You can also download GTA Online Remastered for free on PS5 if you don’t want to buy the full game.
The transfer works by using the Rockstar Social Club to make a cloud save, so before you take any of these steps, make sure you have an active Rockstar Social Club account.
Be warned though, should you choose to migrate your character, you won’t be able to go back and play with your creation on your PS4 or Xbox One anymore.
To move your GTA Online character from your last-gen system to your new console:
- Go to Grand Theft Auto 5’s main menu and go to the Online tab.
- If you’ve played GTA Online before, you’ll be greeted with the Migrate Profile option.
- Select this option, and accept the alert prompt asking you to confirm you want to move your character.
- You should receieve a prompt confirming the migration was a success, and Trophies or Achievements you unlocked previously will start to pop up.
- You will then be taken to a screen where you can select your migrated character. Select them, and the game will load you into GTA Online and your designated spawn point.
How to transfer GTA 5 story mode save to PS5 & Xbox Series X
Making sure you don’t lose your campaign progress is easy too, so if you don’t want to replay the epic story of Michael, Trevor, and Franklin, you don’t have to.
- Read more: GTA 6: Release date rumors, news, leaks
To migrate your GTA 5 story mode progress:
- Open your last-gen version of Grand Theft Auto 5
- Pause the game
- Move to the ‘Game’ tab in the menus
- Scroll down to ‘Upload Save Game’ option, select it, and upload your save.
- Close down the last-gen version of GTA 5, and open up your new GTA 5.
- From the main menu, select the Story tab.
- Select Resume Story, and Download Save Game Data.
- Once this is complete, you should receieve a Success prompt and load into the game.
Image Credit: Rockstar Games
Modern Warfare 2 wallhack trick proves live pings are completely broken
A clever Modern Warfare 2 player turned the live ping system into free wall hacks, proving that the feature is...
How to sign up for EA’s Skate playtest
Here's how you can sign up to EA's highly anticipated Skate reboot playtest and beta phase so that you can...
FIFA 23 Ligue 1 Player of the Month: November & December POTM winner & SBC requirements
The winner for FIFA 23’s Ligue 1 November & December Player of the Month has been announced and here’s how...