How to share your screen on Discord
Discord allows its users to go live and share certain application windows or their entire screen with members of a server. The feature is quite popular, and here’s how you can share your screen on Discord.
Screen sharing is a great way for friends to enjoy live streams, and games together. Even during official meets, screen share is often used to present ideas and guide others. All in all, it’s a must-have feature in the digital world.
Luckily, many messaging apps allow users to share their screens and this guide will explain how to share your screen on Discord.
How to share your screen in a voice channel on Discord
- Launch Discord and join the voice channel on the desired server. On PC, all the servers are displayed on the left. Text channels are marked with a # sign while voice channels are marked with a speaker sign.
- Once connected to a voice channel, there are several settings on the bottom left corner that allow you to mute, deafen, and turn on the camera. Besides the ‘Turn on Camera’ option with a camera sign, you’ll find a ‘Share your Screen’ option with a desktop sign. Click on it.
- A pop-up will appear from which you can either share your entire screen or a certain application.
- Now, select the stream’s settings like frame rate and resolution.
- Finally, click on Go Live and a sound effect will confirm that you’re live.
- While streaming, you can click on the green ‘Screen’ button on the left to change stream quality, change windows, and stop streaming.
The procedure to share your screen in a private call is not too different. You need to initiate a voice/video call with the other person and they must accept it. Once connected, you have to click on the share screen option on the bottom left and choose the resolution and frame rate.
It is worth noting that streaming on Discord’s free version only supports 720p and a frame rate of 30. Even though this should be enough for most users, you can unlock 1080p and 60 FPS stream quality with Discord Nitro.
To watch someone else’s stream/shared screen, you have to join the voice channel and search for the broadcaster with a red LIVE sign in front of their name. Simply click on their name and you’ll be able to watch the stream and control its volume as well.
How to share your screen on Discord on mobile (Android and iOS)
Follow these steps to share your smartphone’s screen on Discord’s Android or iOS apps:
- Launch the Discord app and join the desired server and voice channel from the list on the left.
- Click on the Screen Share option located near the mute, deafen, and camera buttons.
- Give Discord access to all the information on your screen.
- A sound effect will confirm that you are live and there’s a stop sharing option right in the middle.
Leaving the voice channel also stops the screen-sharing process on all platforms.
Discord’s screen share feature can certainly come in handy in a ton of situations. If you’re new to the app, make sure to check out our guide on the idle status on Discord.
Image Credits: Discord Inc.