How to fix Warzone & Modern Warfare Dev Error 6178
Dev Error 6178 is an error code that various Warzone and Modern Warfare players have encountered, and this guide will cover all the different solutions you can try out.
Call of Duty: Warzone and Modern Warfare are extremely fun titles, but players can quickly encounter error issues at times. Goldflake error, error 5476, Diver Error 6, and unknown function Fatal Error are some examples.
If Modern Warfare or Warzone crashes while loading a map on PC, you may encounter Fatal Error Dev Error 6178.
This guide will go over what this error is and how you can get around it.
How to fix Warzone & Modern Warfare dev error 6178
Disable In-Game Overlay & Nvidia Highlights
There have been various causes for this error in Warzone. Aside from the game crashing while loading a map, this can also occur when the camera returns to the player after they get killed.
Many players have reported this problem happening while they try to play the game with both In-Game Overlay and Nvidia highlights enabled at the same time, so we recommend disabling them both.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open up GeForce Experience while the game is turned off
- Go to the General tab and disable In-Game Overlay
- Save and close Nvidia Experience
- Launch Modern Warfare
- Go to Options > Graphics> Nvidia Highlights
- Disable Nvidia highlights and restart the game
Update your GPU drivers
If you’re still encountering Dev Error 6178 then your GPU driver might need updating. This is because the in-game graphics can only be handled with the latest version of the GPU driver.
Here’s how you can update it:
- Open up Device Manager
- Scroll down and select Display Adapters
- Click on the GPU that you want to update select Update Driver .
- Select Search Automatically for updated driver software to install the new driver
- Launch the game to see if it worked.
Run the game as Administrator
The problem might be that the game requires certain permissions that you can only grant as the admin. For this reason, you can try launching the game as an Administrator and see if that fixes things.
This is a fairly simple process:
- Right-click on Modern Warfare
- Select Run as Administrator
- Click yes to grant permissions
- Wait for the game to launch and see if you encounter the error.
Increase the graphics settings
Sometimes the most straightforward solutions are the best ones, and many players have reportedly fixed the error by switching the in-game graphic settings to Medium or High.
You can get this done fairly quickly:
- Launch Modern Warfare
- Go to Settings.
- Select Graphics
- Change the texture resolution to Normal in Details & Textures
That covers all the solutions you can try to fix Dev Error 6178 in both Warzone and Modern Warfare. This error can particularly annoying and keeps players from being able to enjoy the game.
Hopefully, our guide has helped with this problem, and you can check out other cool stuff at Charlie INTEL such as the latest Call of Duty: Vanguard news and guides!
Image Credit: Activision / Infinity Ward / Raven Software