Raven Software have dropped their first major Warzone patch of 2022, with January 7’s update finally nerfing the overpowered Double-Barrel Shotgun.
Anyone who has dropped into Pacific Caldera throughout December will have suffered at the hands of the Double-Barrel Shotgun. Players have been begging for changes for weeks, desperate for these weapons to stop ruining matches.
After January 6’s playlist update, Warzone fans spotted that Raven appeared to have decreased weapon damage when using the Akimbo attachment, but following the January 7 patch, we finally have confirmation and details.
Double-Barrel Shotgun nerfed
In the January 7 patch notes, Raven confirmed that not only had they decreased movement speed, but also made changes to Damage Multiplayer, Range Multiplier, and Hip Spread.
“The Akimbo Double-Barrel was able to consistently achieve lethality at extreme ranges,” they wrote. “While we agree that Shotguns should be the most lethal option within close quarters, once that range begins to encroach on Submachine Gun territory, we must intervene.”
“It may seem peculiar that we are moving Damage Range downside from the Attachment given previous statements, however a more significant reduction to its overall Damage will make the Akimbo Double-Barrel feel less oppressive at extreme ranges while maintaining its effectiveness in close quarters.
Bren & MP-40 nerfs coming soon
The devs confirmed that they intend to take a “more incremental approach to weapon nerfs,” acknowledging that it can be frustrating to spend time ranking up a weapon only for it to get nerfed into the ground.
- Read More: Best PC Settings for Call of Duty: Warzone
With that in mind, Raven confirmed that the Bren and MP-40 will both see balancing changes in the near future, and will be “toning down what is often referred to as ‘Visual Recoil’ on Assault Rifles,” which they think will promote a “healthier, more diverse pool of mid to long-range weapons.”
Warzone January 7 full patch notes
- Cash threshold to enable Overtime in the Plunder mode has been increased to $2,000,000, up from $1,000,000.
- Fixed collision issues with various elements across Caldera allowing Players to exploit/peek/shoot through them.
- We would like to take a moment to discuss some of our upcoming plans as well as how our Weapon balance philosophy will be changing in Caldera. We will be looking to take on a more incremental approach to Weapon nerfs. We understand it can be frustrating to commit a great deal of time to a Weapon to have its viability completely stripped in an unexpected balance patch. We would like to reiterate that our north star is Weapon diversity. With that being said, we feel it is appropriate to announce that in the near future we will be making some adjustments to the Light Machine Gun Charlie (VG) and the Submachine Gun Charlie (VG) – with the intent of closing the gap between these two Weapons and their competitors. In addition, we will be toning down what is often referred to as ‘Visual Recoil’ on Vanguard Assault Rifles. We feel this will help promote a healthier, more diverse pool of mid to long-range Weapons.
Barrel, Double Barrel (VG): Sawed-Off
- Move Speed decreased to 1.03, down from 1.04
Perk, Double Barrel (VG): Akimbo
- Damage Multiplier decreased to .55, down from 1
- Damage Range Multiplier increased to 1, up from .6
- Move Speed decreased to .985, down from 1
- Hip Spread increased to 1.32, up from 1.28
The Akimbo Double Barrel (VG) was able to consistently achieve lethality at extreme ranges. While we agree that Shotguns should be the most lethal option within close quarters, once that range begins to encroach on Submachine Gun territory, we must intervene. It may seem peculiar that we are removing the Damage Range downside from the Attachment given previous statements, however, a more significant reduction to its overall Damage will make the Akimbo Double Barrel (VG) feel less oppressive at extreme ranges while maintaining its effectiveness in close quarters.
Image Credits: Raven Software
How to sign up for EA’s Skate playtest
Here's how you can sign up to EA's highly anticipated Skate reboot playtest and beta phase so that you can...
FIFA 23 Ligue 1 Player of the Month: November & December POTM winner & SBC requirements
The winner for FIFA 23’s Ligue 1 November & December Player of the Month has been announced and here’s how...
FIFA 23 Team of the Year (TOTY) revealed: Messi, Mbappe, De Bruyne, more
FIFA 23 Team of the Year is finally here and EA SPORTS have revealed the full squad of special cards...