Pokemon Go’s Giovanni is a tough competitor to beat, mostly due to his Shadow Mewtwo. If his November 2022 Pokemon Go lineup is giving you trouble, then check out this guide on how to beat Giovanni in Pokemon Go.
Members of Team Rocket keep getting stronger as players progress in Pokemon Go and Giovanni is arguably the toughest of them all. Niantic constantly changes the Pokemon he uses and in November 2022, trainers have to take on a new line-up featuring Shadow Mewtwo — a much more powerful version of its already dominating self.
Owing to the type-based combat system in Pokemon games, every Pokemon is beatable with a suitable strategy and counterattacks designed to capitalize on weaknesses using carefully selected Pokemon.
Here’s everything you need to defeat Giovanni, including the weaknesses and best counters for all of his team in Pokemon Go.
- How to beat Giovanni in Pokemon Go
- Best team to defeat Giovanni in Pokemon Go
- How to counter Persian in Pokemon Go
- How to counter Giovanni’s Nidoqueen, Steelix, or Machamp in Pokemon Go
- How to beat Giovanni’s Shadow Mewtwo in Pokemon Go
- How to find Giovanni in Pokemon Go
How to beat Giovanni in Pokemon Go
Every encounter with Giovanni has one constant, he will begin the fight by unleashing his prized Pokemon — his beloved Persian.
Topple his precious pet and it’ll be onto a fight against a random Pokemon chosen from a specially selected pool of prize fighters — Nidoqueen, Steelix, or Rhyperior.
Finally, if you make it to the third and final battle, it’ll be time for Shadow Mewtwo, and our in-depth guide will walk you through each one of these tough phases.
Best team to defeat Giovanni in Pokemon Go
Some teams that are balanced enough to survive Giovanni’s Pokemon under any circumstances are Conkeldurr, Mewtwo, and Dialga, or even Lucario, Kyogre, and Giratina.
It is worth noting that using the aforementioned Pokemon won’t guarantee success every time you face Giovanni. It largely depends on the attacks his Pokemon are using and there is an element of luck involved.
As a general example, a Dragonite will perform brilliantly against a Latios that only uses Psychic attacks but it might be useless if Latios uses Dragon Breath and Dragon Claw.
Even if you lose to Giovanni, just make the right changes and properly study the type of attacks his Pokemon are using. With the right strategy, even Great League Pokemon can defeat the Team Go Rocket leader in the game.
How to counter Persian in Pokemon Go
Persian is a Normal-type Pokemon which makes it vulnerable to Fighting-type Pokemon. Accordingly, we recommend using your best Fighting-type Pokemon with the highest DPS stats.
Ideally, these should be any of the following:
- Lucario with Counter (Fast move) and Aura Sphere (Charge move).
- Hariyama with Counter (Fast move) and Dynamic Punch (Charge move).
- Conkeldurr with Counter (Fast move) and Dynamic Punch (Charge move).
- Machamp with Counter (Fast move) and Dynamic Punch (Charge move).
- Breloom with Counter (Fast move) and Dynamic Punch (Charge move).
How to counter Giovanni’s Nidoqueen, Steelix, or Rhyperior in Pokemon Go
Nidoqueen is a unique Poison/Ground Pokemon that is vulnerable against Ground, Water, Psychic, and Ice attacks. It can learn Bug moves that are super effective against Psychic Pokemon and its Iron Tail fast move is effective against Ice-type Pokemon.
Accordingly, using the likes of Mewtwo and Glaceon could be a hit or miss depending on Nidoking’s attack.
Water-type Pokemon are definitely the strongest against Nidoqueen and here are some of the safest picks:
- Kyogre with Waterfall (Fast move) and Hydro Pump/Surf (Charge move)
- Mewtwo with Confusion (Fast move) and Psychic (Charge move)
- Glaceon with Ice Shard (Fast move) and Avalanche (Charge Move)
- Swampert with Water Gun (Fast move) and Hydro Cannon (Charge Move)
Steelix is a towering hybrid of Steel and Ground-Types, but can easily be overcome with Pokemon that favor Fighting, Fire, Ground, and Water-based moves in Pokemon Go.
- Read More: How to get Lucky Pokemon in Pokemon Go
You’ll deal great damage if you use the following combinations:
- Conkeldurr with Counter (Fast move) and Dynamic Punch (Charge Move)
- Reshiram with Fire Fang (Fast move) and Overheat (Charge Move)
- Swampert with Water Gun (Fast move) and Hydro Cannon (Charge Move)
- Entei with Fire Fang (Fast move) and Overheat (Charge Move)
Rhyperior is a Ground/Rock-type Pokemon that is extremely weak against Water and Grass attacks. They offer a double ‘super effective’ effect that essentially deals 256% more damage.
None of Rhyperior’s attacks are effective against Water and Grass-type Pokemon, which is why they are excellent for defeating it:
- Kyogre with Waterfall (Fast move) and Hydro Pump (Charge move)
- Swampert with Waterfall (Fast move) and Hydro Cannon (Charge move)
- Feraligatr with Water Gun (Fast move) and Hydro Cannon (Charge move)
- Zarude with Vine Whip (Fast move) and Power Whip (Charge move)
How to beat Giovanni’s Shadow Mewtwo in Pokemon Go
The final challenge is Giovanni’s Shadow Mewtwo which is weak against Bug, Dark, and Ghost Pokemon. It belongs to Dragon and Psychic types and clearly, you have a ton of good options to take on this Pokemon.
Mewtwo primarily uses Psychic attacks and these attacks are super effective against Fighting, and Poison Pokemon, which is why it is wise to only use your strongest Fighting and Dragon-type Pokemon.
Here’s a high-priority list of some Pokemon that should work great against Shadow Mewtwo:
- Chandelure with Hex (Fast move) and Shadow Ball (Charge move)
- Darkrai with Snarl (Fast move) and Dark Pulse (Charge move)
- Tyranitar with Bite (Fast move) and Crunch (Charge move)
- Yveltal with Snarl (Fast move) and Dark Pulse (Charge move)
How to find Giovanni in Pokemon Go
If you’re unsure about where to find the trainer in the first place, then we can tell you that you can come across Giovanni after obtaining a Super Rocket Radar in Pokemon Go.
Here’s how you can get this item:
- Unlock Looming in the Shadows Special Research by completing A Troubling Situation.
- At the final (sixth) stage of Looming in the Shadows, you’ll be asked to defeat Giovanni.
- Defeat Team Rocket Grunts in Pokestops or balloons to acquire six Mysterious Components that help in unlocking a Team Rocket Radar.
- Equip the Team Rocket Radar to take on three Team Go Rocket leaders called Cliff, Sierra, and Arlo.
- They will be hidden in either hidden Pokestops or the balloons.
- You will earn the Super Rocket Radar after defeating all the grunts and leaders.
- Equip it, and Giovanni should arrive in a Pokestop. Be aware of decoys that only pretend to be Giovanni.
For a ton of other Pokemon guides, make sure to check out our guide on how to get Sylveon in Pokemon Go, along with a bunch of other guides for Pokemon Go and Pokemon Scarlet and Violet:
How to heal Pokemon in Pokemon Go | Every new Pokemon in Scarlet & Violet | How many Pokemon are there? | How to beat Arlo in Pokemon Go | How to beat Giovanni in Pokemon Go | How to battle a Fashion Challenger in Pokemon Go Fashion Week | Best Pokemon for PvP battles in Pokemon Go | How to get revives in Pokemon Go | Pokemon Scarlet & Violet differences | Pokemon Go best attackers ranked
Image Credits: Niantic / The Pokemon Company
Warzone 2 players disappointed with pointless DMZ grind
Warzone 2 players are expressing disappointment with the insured slot system in DMZ, feeling as though it's not worth the...
This Warzone 2 AR is Season 1’s easiest weapon to use
A top Modern Warfare 2 AR is emerging as a powerful Warzone 2 Season 1 option and it’s deemed the...
Are Warzone Caldera servers down? Warzone current server status update
Are the Warzone Caldera servers down? If you're wondering, we have the current server status covered for you.