Following speculations and developer statements, Activision and Infinity Ward have officially provided fans with first details on the loot and customization system that will be available in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
They have announced a major change: there will not be loot boxes or supply drops in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare ever.
It’s a huge change for the franchise after having years of loot boxes and supply drops systems that have generated millions in revenue for Activision.
Infinity Ward is instead focusing on direct path to content in Modern Warfare. The company has gotten extensive heat from the community for the predatory loot box RNG system present in Call of Duty. Now, it seems, they’re finally listening.
There will be a Battle Pass system with both free and premium streams. The premium streams will let players earn COD Points as they progress in the Battle Pass — just by playing again.
Here’s the info from the blog:
Today, let’s address the basics for the in-game economy coming in Modern Warfare.
- We are introducing a new Battle Pass system, not a loot box system.
- All functional content that has an impact on game balance, such as base weapons and attachments, can be unlocked simply by playing the game.
- The new Battle Pass system will allow players to see the content that they are earning or buying. Battle Passes will launch timed to new, post-launch live seasons, so you can unlock cool new Modern Warfare-themed content that matches each season.
- With the new Battle Pass system, players will be able to earn COD Points by playing the game.
- There will be both a Free Stream and a Premium Stream of content in the Battle Pass System in Modern Warfare. New base weapons will be earned through gameplay, simply by playing Modern Warfare. Functional attachments for base weapons can be unlocked through gameplay as well just like in the game’s Beta.
- The Battle Pass and the In-Game Store will feature a variety of cosmetic content that does not impact game balance.
The Battle Pass System for Modern Warfare will not launch when the game releases on October 25th. Here’s why: First and foremost, we are all focused on making the Day One experience awesome. Second, it’s important to us that everyone who is playing Modern Warfare has the chance to work their way through the new game and unlock all the rewards that are waiting for you. We expect to launch this system for Modern Warfare later this year.
Understandably there are still questions around how the economy will evolve throughout the post-launch, live seasons. We recognize this will take time to fully demonstrate. Please know we are committed to delivering a fair system guided by the principles we’ve outlined here, and will continue to monitor feedback and player engagement to help us achieve that goal.
Please look for more information on the live seasons and post-release content plans for Modern Warfare throughout the year and beyond.
We are looking forward to playing in just a few days.
Loot boxes have been in Call of Duty since Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, and have continued to place an RNG system into Call of Duty when fans have been asking for a chance.
We’re not entirely sure what has lead to Activision to make this change. One thing that many fans will say of course is why should this be believed with previous reputations, but from what we’ve heard, they are not bringing loot boxes to this game ever. This is not just some statement they’re throwing out here before launch – they are truly changing the system in game to be a direct path to content.
This change reflects an overall change in how Activision and Infinity Ward are handling Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. The game does not have a Season Pass, meaning all post launch maps and modes will be coming free to all players, the game supports cross play, and cross progression. Infinity Ward is trying to unite the community and change how Call of Duty is looked at.
Best mouse and keyboard settings for Modern Warfare 2 Season 1: Sensitivity, keybinds & more
Modern Warfare 2 offers players a ton of mouse and keyboard options to customize, so here are the best Season...
Warzone 2 players furious with reload mechanic that blocks looting
Warzone 2 players are frustrated with the looting in the battle royale, as reloading takes priority over picking up weapons.
FIFA 23 World Cup Path to Glory upgrade tracker
FIFA 23 Ultimate Team players can use our World Cup Path to Glory tracker to find out which cards from...