If you want to win matches, having the best Fortnite controller settings is essential. Make sure you’re getting the most from your Xbox or PlayStation gamepad with our guide to the best settings, layout, and more.
Fortnite is a crossplay game, which means those who use controllers can face off against mouse and keyboard players regularly. For most shooting games, those using a mouse have a distinct advantage, but in Fortnite, the controller is king.
Making sure you have the best controller settings is incredibly important, whether it’s sensitivity, dead zones, or setting up the right building layout. Thankfully, we’ve got everything you need to get an advantage over your opponents.
- Best Fortnite Game settings for controller
- Best Fortnite Controller Options settings
- Fortnite sensivity settings
- Fortnite Deadzone settings
- Best Fortnite controller configuration
- Best Fortnite preferred item slots
Best Fortnite Game settings for controllers
Almost everyone has their preference when it comes to Xbox and PlayStation controllers. Some prefer the smaller PS controller as makes the Claw grip easier to use, but others prefer the diagonal stick placement of the Xbox controller.
- Read more: How to hire Fortnite NPCs
No matter which controller you use to play Fortnite, these settings will be perfect for either. To change these settings, go to the Game tab in your Fortnite settings menu.
- Toggle Sprint: Off
- Auto-Open Doors: Off
- Mantle Activation: Hold Jump
- Hold To Swap Pickup: Off
- Toggle Targeting: Off
- Mark Danger When Targeting: On
- Auto Pick Up Weapons: Off
- Preferred Item Slots: Personal Preference
- Auto Sort Consumables to Right: Off
- Reset Build Choice: Off
- Disable Pre-Edit Option: Off
- Turbo Building: On
- Confirm Edit on Release: On
Best Fortnite Controller Options settings
Now that you’ve sorted your Game settings, we need to take a look at the Controller Settings. These options will set features like Auto-Run, which stops you from having to hold the thumbstick down, and things like Vibration and hold times.
- Controller Auto-Run: On
- Build Immediately (Builder Pro): On
- Edit Hold Time: 0.100 seconds
- Slide Hold Time: 0.150 seconds
- Vibration: Off
Fortnite Sensitivity settings
For sensitivity, it’s really what you feel most comfortable with. You’ll want to have a relatively low look sensitivity with a higher build and edit sensitivity. This keeps you accurate while allowing for quick building and editing in fights.
Give our settings a try and tweak until you’re comfortable and it suits your playstyle.
- Build Mode Sensitivity Multiplier: 1.6x
- Edit Mode Sensitivity Multiplier: 1.7x
- Use Advanced Options: On
Advanced – Look Sensitivity
- Look Horizontal Speed: 50%
- Look Vertical Speed: 60%
- Turning Horizontal Boost: 0%
- Turning Vertical Boost: 0%
- Turning Boost Ramp Time: 0%
- Instant Boost When Building: On
Advanced – Aim Down Sights (ADS) Sensitivity
- ADS Look Horizontal Speed: 17%
- ADS Look Vertical Speed: 17%
- ADS Turning Horizontal Boost: 0%
- ADS Turning Vertical Boost: 0%
- ADS Turning Boost Ramp Time: 0.00 Seconds
Advanced – Sensitivity
- Look Dampening Time: 0.20 seconds
- Look Input Curve: Exponential
- Aim Assist Strength: 100%
Fortnite Controller Deadzone settings
Deadzone is all dependent on your controller. For maximum accuracy and reaction time, you want it to be the lowest possible value without getting stick-drift.
- Left Stick Deadzone: 0% (then increase as required)
- Right Stick Deadzone: 0% (then increase as required)
Jump into a game of Creative, lower your Deadzone down to 0, then slowly build it up until your sticks stop drifting by themselves. We use 6% for the left and 5% for the right, although your controller may require a different setting.
Best Fortnite Controller Configuration
For controllers, Builder Pro is your best friend. When Fortnite was first released, the default controller options were clunky and awkward. Epic Games have since added loads of accessibility support for controllers and Builder Pro is by far the most intuitive and easy to use.
Start with Builder Pro, and work out the best binds for you.
- Read more: How much are your Fortnite skins worth?
To make editing quicker and easier, you should bind Edit to L3/Left Stick. This will allow you to quickly make edits on the fly without accidentally editing while trying to build. By enabling Sprint by Default, you won’t have to worry about unbinding Sprint to do this.
If you use a controller on PC, make sure to choose the Generic controller option. For some reason, this option decreases button latency when compared to Xbox or PlayStation controllers.
Best Fortnite preferred item slots
Really, this is your own personal preference, but we do have some suggestions on how you should organize your inventory:
- Slot 1: Shotgun
- Slot 2: Assault Rifle
- Slot 3: Sniper Rifle / SMG
- Slot 4: Explosives / Deployable Items
- Slot 5: Consumables
If you watch professional Fortnite controller players, you will notice that they always have their shotgun in their first slot. This is because if you press Pickaxe > Build > Switch Weapon, it always defaults to your 1 slot, no matter which weapon you were holding to start the sequence.
This might sound a bit complicated, but it’s a very common sequence in Fortnite. We just described the input of taking someone’s wall. If you keep your AR in your first slot, as many players do, you’ll need to switch weapons twice to get to your shotgun – costing you precious time.
The new setup will take a bit of getting used to, but it’s as simple as moving your entire inventory to the right, once. You’ll also need to disable Auto-Sort Consumables to the left if you have it enabled.
Give these controller settings a try in Fortnite, and you’ll be building and shooting like the pros in no time.
You can also check out the best Fortnite PC settings to maximize frames per second.
Image Credit: Epic Games
What is Warzone Cup LTM in Warzone 2?
Here's what you need to know about the upcoming Warzone Cup LTM that is set to hit Warzone 2 with...
How to unlock every Operator in Modern Warfare 2 & Warzone 2.0: Season 1 Reloaded’s Gaz & Klaus
Here's how to unlock every Operator from the SpecGru faction and KorTac faction in Modern Warfare 2 and Warzone 2.0.
All FIFA 23 World Cup Icon ratings & how to get them in Ultimate Team
World Cup Icons have made their way to FIFA 23 as boosted versions of their standard Ultimate Team cards. Here's...